Quotes

"If I can’t hear His words, Then I will speak them. If I can’t feel His touch, His touch I’ll give. And I’ll rejoice because my Lord called even me, And by His teachings I’ll always live." -Thomas (Savior of the World)

Saturday, December 9, 2006

I have a couple really cool experiences with Savior of the World that I have to share. If I don't do it now I will probably not do it or just forget.

Last night we heard that Elder Nelson was there and that seemed to make everyone want to do their best. I know why it made people feel that way but it is kind of sad that some of us just don't get that drive to our best by ourselves. But I digress. Because everyone had that extra push you could feel the spirit and the strength of everyone's testimony of our Savior. At the end of the show Elder Nelson came and spoke to us with his wife. Since I was on the tech crew I was in a position where I got to walk beside him for a bit. (I get excited about these kinds of things) When he spoke it made me realise that what we do is important. Yes it is fun and is just a play but has the ability to touch the people who come to watch and those who are involved. There is a feeling of empathy with the characters and the Spirit is able to testify of the things which are depicted. Needless to say, I love being a part of it.

Today was the hearing impaired version of SotW. We had ASL translators and TV's with the words on it. Only those who were hearing impaired or those who were related or involved with them in some way. Before the show started we had a man come backstage who was both deaf and blind. His wife was helping him around and using Helen Keller technique to communicate with him. (Signing into the hand) We were letting him feel all the props, the costumes, and walk around to get the feel for the set. It was really fun to watch him and the joy in his face. But that was not the best part. When the little tour was done we were talking with him and his wife and said something that really struck me. He "said" that he really felt like he was walking in the days of Christ. First of all it was really awesome that he was able to feel that way just by walking around and feeling things. Most importantly I realized something that might be totally wrong but it felt good to me. Since he was blind and deaf he didn't have all the distractions that come with it and was able to really feel. He was able to feel that connection with his Savior. Something I wish I could do better; take all the distractions away and connect with my Savior. I would like to say I would give up my sight and hearing for it but I am not sure if I could do that. I can however take the distractions I give myself and set them aside.

During this whole discussion you could tell his wife was really affected as well. I couldn't help but just smiling and the assistant stage manager was in tears. There was such an outpouring of love and a feeling of unity through our brother Jesus Christ. It really struck me deep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey elder Walker
it sounds like you are having a grand old time on your mish. thats super cool. i love reading your blog keep it up.please ;)
remember that you are loved by so many people. more then you'll ever realize.
i really look up to you you are such an example. we all love you!

Anonymous said...

It's spelled "thorough" I believe. Anyhoo, I am just about freaking out (since blondes are spasmodic people) that you got to meet L. Tom Perry. He's such a cool guy. I'm glad you are enjoying your mission. Thanks for being such a great example to those around you!!! I forgot you had this blog until I found your email like ten minutes ago. It's great!

Anonymous said...

Life's great isn't it? -- God gives us all these opportunities to leave footprints in other peoples' hearts -- but if a heart's too hard, no indentation can be made. That man was able to touch you because you were in tune -- I think that's just so fabulous.