Quotes

"If I can’t hear His words, Then I will speak them. If I can’t feel His touch, His touch I’ll give. And I’ll rejoice because my Lord called even me, And by His teachings I’ll always live." -Thomas (Savior of the World)

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

First Update

OH boy. I feel like I have a lot of learning to do. There is so much to know and get used to. I think one of my biggest problems is knowing what I need to do. I have a couple specific duties but those only take up part of the day. I have been told that I can do and learn almost whatever I want but it will be hard for me to see things that I can do and have enough initiative to ask someone to help me. I have been a little disappointed with the amount of time we have to do nothing. I was expecting to come and work, work, work until five of six but alas it is not so. All of the other elders are out of here usually by two o'clock and I feel like I am cheating the lord and myself if I quit that early. Oh well, I guess I will have to make myself go out and find things to.
Speaking of the other elders, I will give a description of them all.

First is Elder Andrus. He is our "District Leader" and he really does well at it. The leadership qualities in him are phenomonal. I have a lot I can learn from him. When he is done with his mission he wants to pursue becoming a professional pitcher. He has been in madrigals twice at Granger High and is decent at the piano. I was really taken aback when he told me that because he doesnt strike me as the type to like doing that kind of stuff.

Second is Elder Gonzalas. The passion in his life is Football (soccer) and Ferraris. It's crazy how into it he gets but it is really fun to see him talk about them. His mom is from Peru and his dad is from mexico but he speaks perfect english; only his looks tell you his heritage is different. Elder Gonzalas is really good at making people feel accepted. He jsut loves to have fun.

Next is Elder Felice. He has been there the longest, about seventeen months. I have to say he is kinda interesting. He has this thing with telling "stories". We all cant wait to here his next excuse for being late and stories of his life. He has such an incredible imagination! He cant really read past the fourth grade and his mental capacities are not the greatest but he is actually really bright. One of his passions is Astrology I guess. Its really cool.

Then there is Elder Harwell. This guy is off the wall! He can never stop moving. It is really fun to hang out with him but can be a little tiresome trying to get him to stay focused. Skating is about all I know of his interests right now. He is the one who first showed me the ropes and I was grateful for his accepting and friendly attitude.

Last is Elder Smith. Probably the gentlest of them all. He is really kind and caring. He is pretty accomplished at the piano also. I was kind of suprised to hear that because he is one of those that is a little slower. I am really impressed with him though.

I am excited to get to know them better.

During the nights I am still trying to figure out what to do so I am not just sitting around. Until the end of December I am in the crew for "Savior of the World" so I am busy with that about half the week at night. It is a really neat experience. You can really feel the Spirit when you watch the production but especially when you participate in it. It is too late now but I strongly recommend going to see it next year or anytime in your life. So I still have stuff to say but this is going on forever so I will have to post something new soon. Feel free to keep in touch. Until next time...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear all this. It sounds like you're having an amazing time!

Kendra said...

I like your blog idea. It will be nice to see whats going on in your life... even if I do see you once in a while still. Missions are amazing things. I hope you have a fun one!

Anonymous said...

So I've got a question. Were the other service missionaries called the same way you were?

Elder Walker said...

Gloria,

In answer to your question: It really depends. The final call telling you where you are officially called and when you start are all the same though. A couple of the elders actually were called on a real misison and one of them made it as far as the MTC. He had leave for health reasons and decided to do a service mission.

Even the other elders are stymied by my situation so I get the feeling no one here has heard of this either. Not even the part where the mission office sends a letter requesting you to serve a service mission after you applied for a regular mission. Which means, from what I can tell no one has been called the same way I was.